Planning a trip to London?
London is a bustling city with a ton to offer novice and experienced travelers alike. Here’s our top 10 recommendations of FREE things you should experience during your next trip to London. Let us know what you think!
1. Watch the daily Changing the Guard ceremony outside Buckingham Palace.
During the Changing the Guard ceremony, one regiment guarding the palace takes over from another. The ceremony lasts about 45 minutes and usually takes place daily at 11:30 from April until the end of July and on alternate days for the rest of the year, weather permitting.
2. Hangout with lions at Trafalgar Square.
Trafalgar Square is surrounded by many great museums and galleries, including the National Gallery. Most days the square is a gathering place, but from time to time it becomes the home for rallies and demonstrations. It is considered the democratic center of the city.
3. Take a selfie in front of the bright lights of Piccadilly Circus.
Piccadilly Circus is one of London’s most popular tourist destinations. This London neighborhood is full of energy! Being here will put a smile on your face.
4. Listen to the chiming of Big Ben.
By far on of the most iconic landmarks in London, the Elizabeth Tower (commonly called Big Ben), is a must-see! Technically, Big Ben is the name given to the massive bell inside the clock tower, which weighs more than 13 tons (13,760 kg). So… go see Elizabeth Tower and go listen to Big Ben! 🙂
5. Step back into time at the British Museum.
The British Museum is dedicated to human history, art, and culture. Admission is free and well worth a visit. Plan to spend at least 3 hours here.
6. Dip your feet in the Diana Memorial Fountain at Hyde Park.
The Diana Memorial Fountain is a peaceful place to rest and enjoy the beautiful view of Hyde Park. We usually end up here after walking around the park.
7. Walk across Millennium Bridge.
This pedestrian suspension bridge is a beautiful example of London’s amazing architecture and design.
8. Enjoy the view of the London Eye, Big Ben, and the many double-decker red buses as you walk across the Westminster Bridge.
Westminster Bridge provides some of the best views of London. While on the bridge you can watch London’s traditional red double-decker buses and cabs drive by, as well as enjoy the view of the River Thames, Big Ben, and London Eye. It is one of our favorite spots in London.
9. Smell the fresh river air and listen to the water lap along the shore of the River Thames.
Listening to the sounds of the river and watching the boats travel up and down the river is a great way to appreciate this large and historically important river.
10. Explore the old market and watch street performers at Covent Garden.
Covent Gardens is a popular destination to enjoy London’s vibrant culture. Here you can watch street performers, grab a pint of beer, or simply walk around. We especially like this area at night.